- science news From cytoskeleton to pluripotency: a new mechanism for regulating stem status of the embryonic cells
Researchers from the Laboratory of Molecular Bases of Embryogenesis (Shemyakin-Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS), in technical cooperation with colleagues from the Department of Metabolism and Redox Biology (Shemyakin-Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS), the Laboratory of Genomics and Epigenomics of Vertebrates in the Federal Center "Fundamentals of Biotechnology" RAS, as well as with colleagues from the Cell Motility Group of the Institute of Protein Research RAS, discovered a previously unknown mechanism of the regulation of the activity of genes that determine the pluripotent status of the embryonic stem cells.
- science news Dual Targeting of Cancer Cells with DARPin-Based Toxins for Overcoming Tumor Escape
Researchers of the Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, IBCh RAS, in collaboration with Russian colleagues have shown that the strategy of targeting of anticancer toxins to two different surface antigens on the surface of a cancer cell is effective in the treatment of not only primary solid tumors, but also distant metastases.
- science news Liquid drop of DNA libraries reveals total genome information
Unlike the tightly controlled replication of DNA in living cells, PCR amplification, a “workhorse” of molecular biology, balances between simplicity and accuracy. Conventional “bulk” PCR often yields inefficient and nonuniform amplification of complex templates in DNA libraries, introducing unwanted biases.
- science news Discovery of the novel protein encoded in mammalian mitochondrial DNA polymerase gene POLG
Researchers from Laboratory of bioinformatics approaches in combinatorial chemistry and biology and Laboratory of high-performance screening of biological objects together with colleagues from Moscow State University and University College Cork (Ireland) discovered novel protein POLGARF, which is encoded in alternative reading frame of mitochondrial DNA polymerase POLG mRNA. The results of this study are published in PNAS.
- science news Multiscale computation delivers organophosphorus reactivity and stereoselectivity to immunoglobulin scavengers
The scientists from the Laboratory of biocatalysis, the Laboratory of proteolytic enzyme chemistry, the Laboratory of bioinformatics approaches in combinatorial chemistry and biology and the Laboratory of hormonal regulation proteins, together with colleagues from EMBL-Hamburg, Moscow State University. M.V. Lomonosov, the Sheffield Institute and the Scripps Research Institute have developed a universal algorithm that makes it possible to create biological antidotes based on biocatalysts, directionally increasing their reactivity, and to predict stereoselectivity.
- science news The discovery of four genes of the Noggin family in lampreys is consistent with the hypothesis of two rounds of genomic duplications in vertebrate ancestors
Researchers from the Laboratory of Molecular Bases of Embryogenesis, together with a colleague from the Severtsov Institute of Ecology and Evolution, described for the first time four genes of the Noggin family in the oldest representatives of vertebrates - lampreys, and compared their structure, expression and some functional features with those of the known genes of this family in other vertebrates.
- science news A versatile platform for bioimaging based on colominic acid-decorated upconversion nanoparticles
Scientists from the IBCh RAS, Federal Scientific Research Centre “Crystallography and Photonics”, FSBSI “N.N. Blokhin Russian Cancer Research Center”, Lomonosov Moscow State University of Fine Chemical Technologies and Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University developed a method for the UCNP surface functionalization with endogenous colominic acid conferring “stealth” properties, which led to effective accumulation in the area of inflammation, as well as micro- and macro-blood vessels visualization.
- science news Toxin from black mamba venom inhibits growth of glioma cells selectively expressing ASIC1a channels
Gliomas are fast growing and highly invasive brain tumors, characterized by tumor microenvironment acidification that drives glioma cell growth and migration. Channels containing Acid-sensing Ion Channel 1a subunit (ASIC1a) mediate amiloride-sensitive cation influx in late stage glioma cells, but not in normal astrocytes. Thus, selective targeting of ASIC1a can be a perspective strategy for glioma treatment.
- science news Start codon context and occurrence of AUG codons in the beginning of protein coding open reading frames co-evolve
Researchers from IBCh RAS together with their international collаborators discovered an evolutionary link between efficiency of start codons and the probability of AUG codon occurrence in the 5'-end parts of protein-coding sequences. When start codons are inefficient the next AUG codon is more likely to be found in the same reading frame. At the same time in case of highly efficient start codons, the next AUG codon is more likely to be found in alternative frames. They also have shown that weak initiation at the first starts is associated with the synthesis of shortened proteoforms as a result of initiation at the second starts.
- science news New technology promises to revolutionize nanomedicine
A collaboration of scientists from the Shemyakin-Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and Prokhorov General Physics Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences have developed a breakthrough technology to resolve a key problem that has prevented the introduction of novel drugs into clinical practice for decades. The study was published in Nature Biomedical Engineering and featured in the journal’s News & Views section.
- conferences Lipids 2021 Conference
October 19–21, 2021
Lipids 2021 Conference, October 19-21, 2021, IBCH RAS, Moscow
- conferences International School "Molecular mechanisms of neurodegenerative diseases"
November 26 (This event is over)
Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT) invites you to take part in the International school for young scientists "Molecular mechanisms of neurodegenerative diseases", which will be held on November 26, 2020 online.
- science news Lecture by Director-General of the ICGEB Lawrence Banks «Human Papillomaviruses: From Infectious Entry to Malignancy»
January 27 (This event is over)
ICGEB Director-General Group Leader Lawrence Banks will deliver a lecture entitled «Human Papillomaviruses: From Infectious Entry to Malignancy». Date and time: Mon 27 January 2020 14:00. Location: Small conference hall at 3rd floor BON IBCh.
- science news LIGHTS ON: Molecular Imaging of disease dynamics in vivo
September 27 October 11, 2019 (This event is over)
Abhijit De PhD Scientific Officer ‘F’ and Principal Investigator Head, Molecular Functional Imaging Lab Advanced Centre of Training Research and Education in Cancer, Tata Memorial Centre, Kharghar, Navi Mumbai, India.
- science news Seminar "Molecular Brain": Anton Maximov
October 8, 2019 (This event is over)
The seminar will be held on the 8th of October at 3 pm in the Small lecture hall (3rd floor, BON, IBCh). Everyone is welcome!
- conferences II Joint Life Sciences Forum: VI Russian Congress on Biochemistry and IX Russian Symposium «Proteins and Peptides»
October 1–6, 2019 (This event is over)
Dear Colleagues! We are pleasure to invite you to participate the VI Russian Congress on Biochemistry, which will be held in Sochi, Russia (Dagomys Hotel) on October 1-6, 2019.
- science news Lecture by Prof. Yibo Wang «Drug Discovery Targeting Transmembrane Protein-Protein Interactions»
August 26, 2019 (This event is over)
Prof. Yibo Wang from the Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry will deliver a lecture entitled «Drug Discovery Targeting Transmembrane Protein-Protein Interactions». Date and time: Mon 26 August 2019 11:30. Location: Conference hall at 5th floor BON IBCh.
- conferences 12th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE “BIOCATALYSIS.FUNDAMENTALS & APPLICATIONS” “BIOCATALYSIS-2019”
June 24–28, 2019 (This event is over)
Dear colleagues, The Lomonosov Moscow State University and RAS institutes, including IBCH RAS, is planning to convene a traditional biannual 12 th International Conference "BIOCATALYSIS-2019" in June, 24–28, 2019. Conference will be convened on board a ship cruising via the route St. Petersburg – Valaam – Kizhi – St. Petersburg. More info is available at http://bc2019.org/.
- science news Scientific School for young scientists «Structural biology: main problems and approaches to their solution»
June 6, 2019 (This event is over)
Dear colleagues! The Scientific School is devoted to the latest achievements and methods in the field of structural research will be held at the IBCh RAS on Thursday, 6 June 2019. The scientific program of the School includes lectures by leading scientists working in various fields of molecular biology and representing the basic structural methods, namely, X-ray Crystallography, Cryo-Electron Microscopy, NMR-spectroscopy and computer modeling.
- science news "Molecular Brain" seminar
April 16, 2019 (This event is over)
The seminar is timed to the birthday of academician Eugene Grishin and will take place on April 16 at 14:00 in the Hall of Academic Council. Members of the Department of Molecular Neurobiology created by Eugene, will give talks on their present work. Everyone is cordially invited.