- science news Academician A.G. Gabibov and Professor J. Schlessinger handed over the Lomonosov Great Gold Medal to Professor Sidney Altman
Acting Director of the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS, President of the Russian Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Society, academician Alexander Gabibov and the head of the Pharmacology Department at Yale University, a member of the US National Academy of Sciences and a foreign member of the RAS, member of the International Advisory Board of Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of the RAS Joseph Schlessinger on behalf of the President of the Russian Academy of Sciences awarded the Lomonosov Great Gold Medal to the laureate of 2016, Professor at Yale University, a member of the International Advisory Board of Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS, Nobel Prize laureate Sidney Altman. Professor Altman has received the award "for outstanding contribution to the field of biochemistry of nucleic acids, the discovery of the catalytic activity of the nucleic acids and the creation of new biologically active substances."
- science news The international forum was held at the IBCh RAS
The Joint Life Sciences Forum, including the International Scientific Conference in bioorganic chemistry "XII conference dedicated to the Memory of Academician Yuri A. Ovchinnikov" and the VIII Russian Symposium "Proteins and Peptides" with a Young Scientists Competition, was held at the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS at 18-22 September, 2017. The leading foreign experts who visited the forum named it one of the main scientific events in the field of Life Sciences in the world in this year.
- science news Laboratory of the IBCh first in Russia received a foreign order for preclinical testing of substances by world standards
Laboratory of Biological Tests of the Branch of the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry (BICh) received an order from a European company for preclinical animal studies, which will be conducted in accordance with world standards. Thus, for the first time, Russia will export high-tech services such as pre-clinical research for foreign countries.
- science news Scientists made proteins shine longer
Russian scientists together with foreign colleagues extended the shine time of fluorescent label in live cells. Light is emitted longer due to the continuous exchange of fluorogenic dyes interacting with special protein labels. The method which was described in the Chemical Science journal will simplify the live cells staining and provide new opportunities for research. This work was supported by the Russian Science Foundation.
- science news Researchers from IBCh found out how the protein isoforms diverse
Researchers of the IBCh RAS and the Federal Research and Clinical center of Physical-Chemical Medicine of FMBA of Russia found that alternative splicing of messenger RNAs makes a non-significant contribution to the plant cell proteome diversity. The results have been published in the Scientific Reports journal.
- science news Chemists discovered a new mechanism of action of a Vipera nikolskii venom neurotoxin
Scientists from the Shemyakin-Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS (IBCh RAS) with the participation of colleagues from the Institute of Human Morphology of RAMS and the Pirogov RSMU found that the enzyme phospholipase A2 from the Vipera nikolskii venom is able to adhere to lipid membranes (prototypes of cell membranes) and cause their aggregation, even if the activity of enzyme is specifically blocked. It turned out that this is due to the presence of two binding sites in the enzyme structure. Published in the journal Toxicon the results of the work help to understand how the multicomponent snakes’ venoms work.
- science news The researchers of the IBCh RAS took part at the international conference nAChR 2017
From 7 to 11 May the fourth international conference on nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChR 2017) was held on the island of Crete (Greece) in which scientists from the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS took part. Together with other leading experts in the field of neurobiology associated with cholinergic transmission, they discussed the genetic, molecular, structural and cellular aspects of research and told what key trends in the development of this scientific area are actively supported now.
- science news Russian scientists study to control a neural network through infrared radiation
Researcher from the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences together with their colleagues have developed a method for stimulating neurons with infrared radiation. They implemented in mice neurons snake proteins that react to temperature – thermoreceptors. Published in Nature Communications journal results will help non-invasive stimulate neural networks in the deep layers of tissues in the body, as well as control the activity of other types of cells in living systems. In the future, it can help in the therapy of various nervous system diseases.
- science news Peptides from marine anemones gave analgesic effect
Researchers from the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS together with their colleagues have isolated the analgesic peptides Ms9a-1 and Ueq 12-1 from sea anemones, one of the most ancient predators on the planet. The ability of these substances to selectively enhance the activity of TRPA1 receptor opens up new opportunities for basic research and serves as a basis for the painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs development. The research was supported by the Russian Science Foundation, and the results were published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry and Toxins.
- science news Scientists Train Mushrooms to Glow in all Colors of the Rainbow
Researchers at the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IBCh RAS), the Institute of Biophysics of the Krasnoyarsk Scientific Center SB RAS (IBP SB RAS) and the Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University, together with colleagues from Brazil and Japan, have drawn even closer to finally unveiling the secret of the mechanism that mushrooms use to glow. They successfully determined the structure of the molecule of oxyluciferin, a product of the luminescence reaction, from fungi (in this case, mushrooms were used), and also synthesized several artificial replicas of luciferin, which emit light of different colors. This groundbreaking work was funded by a grant from the Russian Science Foundation, RSF, and the results published in the journal Science Advances.
- science news Leading scientists will visit IBCh RAS within the Joint Life Sciences Forum
September 18–22 (This event is over)
From September 18 to September 22, the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences will host the United Scientific Forum, which includes the 12th International Scientific Conference on Bioorganic Chemistry devoted to the Memory of Professor Yuri Ovchinnikov and the 8th Russian Symposium “Proteins and Peptides” with a paper competition for young scientists. The forum will be attended by leading experts in the field of bioorganic chemistry, molecular biology, biotechnology, and Nobel Prize laureates among honored guests.
- science news German-Russian symposium "Molecular Neurobiology Today and Tomorrow" in memory of Eugene Grishin
April 5–9 (This event is over)
Bilateral German-Russian symposium "Molecular Neurobiology Today and Tomorrow" in memory of Eugene Grishin is a Joint Meeting of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities. We invite everyone interested in all areas of molecular neurobiology. Dates: 5-9 April 2017. Place: Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Moscow. Website: http://www.molneuro2017.ibch.ru/ Please apply until 15 March 2017.
- science news Seminar: "Solving the mechanism of fungal bioluminescence"
September 8, 2016 (This event is over)
8th of September (Thursday) 16:00, Dr Cassius Stevani will deliver a report on the mechanism of fungal bioluminescence: "Solving the mechanism of fungal bioluminescence". Room 34/508
- science news International Meetig in the Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics
December 18, 2015 (This event is over)
- science news 21.05.15, 12:00, Prof. Miguel Lopez-Botet: “Role of the CD94/NKG2C C-type lectin receptor in the human NK-cell mediated response to cytomegalovirus”
May 20–21, 2015 (This event is over)
- science news 16-th European Conference on the Spectroscopy of Biological Molecules (ECSBM): 6-10 September, 2015, Bochum (Germany)
May 5–17, 2015 (This event is over)
16-th European Conference on the Spectroscopy of Biological Molecules (ECSBM): 6-10 September, 2015, Bochum (Germany)
- science news Microscale Thermophoresis (MST) allows quantification of binding affinities of proteins, nucleic acids and small molecules as well as measurement of enzymatic activities.
December 14–17, 2014 (This event is over)
December 17th, 2014, 10.00, IBCH RAS, Seminar room korp.33, floor 1 (NMR lab.)
- conferences 7th Russian-Japanese Symposium “Molecular Simulation Studies in Material and Biological Sciences”
September 21–22, 2014 (This event is over)
MSSMBS symposium is held in IBCh on September 22, 2014 (BON, 5th floor).
- conferences International Conference on Laboratory animal science
April 7 June 1, 2014 (This event is over)
Rus-LASA and ICLAS joint Conference "Science-bases assessment of laboratory animal welfare" 17-19 November 2014, S. Petersburg, Russia
- conferences 15-th European Conference on the Spectroscopy of Biological Molecules (ECSBM): 25-30 Aug. 2013, Oxford (UK)
May 8 June 16, 2013 (This event is over)