- science news Fast and safe: new reversibly switchable fluorescent proteins for live-cell nanoscopy
Russian scientists together with colleagues from Sweden and the USA developed red fluorescent tags that are safe for nanoscopy in living cells. This work was funded by a grant from the Russian Science Foundation (RSF), and the results are published in Nature Methods journal.
- science news Genetically encoded fluorescent pH probe for precise monitoring of cellular biochemistry
One of the directions of the Molecular Technologies Laboratory is the development of new tools for bioimaging and optogenetics. Yulia Ermakova, Vsevolod Belousov and other lab members, in an article in Chemical Communications, describe a new member of SypHer family of genetically encoded pH indicators, SypHer3s.
- science news Spider venom will cure from paralysis
Scientists from IBCh RAS together with foreign colleagues discovered that a toxin from the venom of the spider Heriaeus melloteei may serve as a hit in drug discovery for hypokalemic periodic paralysis type 2. The disease is caused by mutations in the gene encoding voltage-gated sodium channels NaV1.4, characteristic of skeletal muscles. As a result of the mutations, these channels conduct aberrant currents, the muscles are unable to respond to the signals of the nervous system, and weakness develops followed by paralysis. Until now, there is no reliable medication for all cases of this disease. The results of the work are published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA (PNAS).
- science news Lindoldhamine can activate the human ASIC3 channel
Researchers from the Laboratory of Neuroreceptors and Neuroregulators (group leader - Sergei Kozlov) found alkaloid lindoldhamine in the leaves of the noble laurel, which can activate the human ASIC3 channel at physiological pH.
- science news Open call for research fellowships in Systems Biology
The Skoltech Center for Data Intensive Biomedicine and Biotechnology is proud to announce for the third time an open call for research fellowships in Systems Biology. Application period: 20 February 2018 to 15 March 2018 (Deadline: 23:59, Moscow time). The total amount of support is 630,000 rubles per year. Period: 3-year. Deadline: 15-03-2018 23:59 For more information on who is eligible to apply, how to apply, and available funding, please click here.
- ys-ad Video from the 42th Seminar of the Young scientists counsil
- science news Academician A.G. Gabibov and Professor J. Schlessinger handed over the Lomonosov Great Gold Medal to Professor Sidney Altman
October 13, 2017
Acting Director of the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS, President of the Russian Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Society, academician Alexander Gabibov and the head of the Pharmacology Department at Yale University, a member of the US National Academy of Sciences and a foreign member of the RAS, member of the International Advisory Board of Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of the RAS Joseph Schlessinger on behalf of the President of the Russian Academy of Sciences awarded the Lomonosov Great Gold Medal to the laureate of 2016, Professor at Yale University, a member of the International Advisory Board of Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS, Nobel Prize laureate Sidney Altman. Professor Altman has received the award "for outstanding contribution to the field of biochemistry of nucleic acids, the discovery of the catalytic activity of the nucleic acids and the creation of new biologically active substances."
- science news The international forum was held at the IBCh RAS
October 12, 2017
The Joint Life Sciences Forum, including the International Scientific Conference in bioorganic chemistry "XII conference dedicated to the Memory of Academician Yuri A. Ovchinnikov" and the VIII Russian Symposium "Proteins and Peptides" with a Young Scientists Competition, was held at the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS at 18-22 September, 2017. The leading foreign experts who visited the forum named it one of the main scientific events in the field of Life Sciences in the world in this year.
- science news Laboratory of the IBCh first in Russia received a foreign order for preclinical testing of substances by world standards
October 5, 2017
Laboratory of Biological Tests of the Branch of the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry (BICh) received an order from a European company for preclinical animal studies, which will be conducted in accordance with world standards. Thus, for the first time, Russia will export high-tech services such as pre-clinical research for foreign countries.
- science news Scientists made proteins shine longer
September 1, 2017
Russian scientists together with foreign colleagues extended the shine time of fluorescent label in live cells. Light is emitted longer due to the continuous exchange of fluorogenic dyes interacting with special protein labels. The method which was described in the Chemical Science journal will simplify the live cells staining and provide new opportunities for research. This work was supported by the Russian Science Foundation.
- conferences International conference "Biomembranes - 2018" at MIPT
Dear Colleagues! We are very pleased to invite you to participate in the International Conference “BIOMEMBRANES 2018”, which will be held on October 1-5, 2018 at the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT), Dolgoprudny, Moscow region, Russia.
- ys-ad 48th Young Scientists Council Seminar "Rapid Prototyping: How to Simplify Daily Problems in Biochemistry and Biotechnology"
May 20–26 (This event is over)
On Friday, May 25 at 15:00 in the Small Hall, the Young Scientists Council Seminar devoted to the use of additive technologies in the context of a biological laboratory will be held.
- science news "Molecular Brain" seminar
May 25 (This event is over)
The seminar will take place on May 25 at 11:00 in the Minor hall. Professor Dmitri Rusakov from the Institute of Neurology, University College London (UK) will talk about synaptic microenvironment remodelling. Everyone is cordially invited.
- ys-ad Steffen Hering "Natural products as subunit specific modulators of GABAA receptors: From discovery to drug-development"
May 3–12 (This event is over)
On Friday, May 11th at 15:00 the Young Scientists Counsil seminar will host Univ. Prof. Dr. Steffen Hering, head of department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Vienna.
- science news The 5 th International Congress on Microscopy & Spectroscopy (INTERM 2018)
April 24–30 (This event is over)
Dear Colleagues, On behalf of the Organizing Committee, we are pleased to invite you to take part in the “5th International Congress on Microscopy and Spectroscopy (INTERM)” which will be held on April 24-30, 2018 in the stunning Convention Centre of one of the largest international resort in Turkey right in the heart of Blue Lagoon (Oludeniz) area. INTERM is traditional annual congress for scientists and expected to collect a wide audience of participants and listeners. We are planning an outstanding scientific program led by world-renowned invited speakers, that will not only be a platform to showcase exciting new developments in microscopy and spectroscopy, but will also reveal the transformational role of microscopy in supporting a range of physical and life sciences. We hope that the scientific program, including a wide array of topics will live to your expectations, and that participation in the congress will offer you an opportunity to meet up with your colleagues, friends and renowned specialists from all over the world. We look forward to seeing you in Fethiye. INTERM Organizing Committee http://www.intermcongress.org/
- science news 5th Workshop on Molecular Neurobiology and Physiology "Current Methods in Physiology Research" dedicated to the 72nd anniversary of the birth of academician Eugene Grishin
April 20 (This event is over)
The workshop will take place on April 20 in the Minor hall. Talks will be made by world-leading scientists and representatives of high-tech entrepreneurship specializing in neurobiology. Everyone is cordially invited.
- science news A lecture by Prof. Alexey Terskikh "Signature of Glioblastoma Differentiation Revealed by Imaging of Epigenetic Landscapes” - April 20
April 20 (This event is over)
A lecture by Prof. Alexey Terskikh "Signature of Glioblastoma Differentiation Revealed by Imaging of Epigenetic Landscapes” will take place on Friday April 20th, 5 pm (seminar room, 5th floor, building 34).
- science news Molecular Neurobiology Department seminar
March 15 (This event is over)
The seminar will take place on March 15 at 15:15 in the Minor hall. Professor Andrey Abramov from the Institute of Neurology, University College London (UK) will talk about the mechanism of neurodegeneration in Parkinson's disease. Everyone is cordially invited.
- science news Molecular Neurobiology Department seminar
February 2 (This event is over)
The seminar will take place on February 2 at 15:00 in the Minor hall. Professor Kirill Volynski from the Institute of Neurology, University College London (UK) will talk about the regulation of neurotransmitter release. Everyone is cordially invited.
- ys-ad 46-th Young Scientists Counsil seminar: Tim Hucho "High Content Microscopy for the cellular study of pain" and Joris Messens "Balancing sulfur oxygen signaling to survive stress"
January 29 (This event is over)
On Monday, January 29th at 14:00 the Young Scientists Counsil seminar will host two lecturers from Germany and Belgium.